Naming and name spaces are important in a lot of contexts:
- natural language (naming things, people, places, …)
- programming languages (think about scoping, encapsulation, C's
static, inheritance, …)
- networking (Addresses, DNS, IDs for various types of sessions like in TCP or RPC, …)
- crypto (Identifiers in certificates, fingerprints in PGP, …)
- law (Trademarks, libels, …)
Unfortunately, computer science is mostly ignoring the whole topic. In the hope to change this a little, I'm building a bibliography/link list on naming.
Additions, corrections and comments are welcome!
Mon, 06 Dec 2004
[/projects] permanent link